Make a Legacy / Bequest Donation

I moved into a bungalow left by a Methodist member to the Society. Serving in the Church meant I was left with little financial resource. I am grateful to the Housing Society for providing my home.’ Baroness Revd Kathleen Richardson

One of the main reasons we can provide homes for those in need is the generosity of people who have left us a legacy in their will or actually bequeathed their house to us. If you, too, would consider remembering the Society in your will, we would be very grateful.

A simple change to your will could make all the difference to our ministers in need. Every gift we receive – large or small – helps us continue our work. Find out how your gift would help.

Three types of gift

There are three main kinds of gift you can leave in your will:

A pecuniary bequest. This is a fixed sum of money, which can be index-linked to preserve its value in the time between your will being made and executed.

A residuary bequest. This is when you bequeath all or part of what is left of your estate after other gifts and debts.

A specific bequest. This is when you leave a named item, such as shares or property.

Over the years, many kind people have left their house, flat or bungalow to the Society, helping us to house more ministers in need. Today these bequests are more important than ever. The volatile housing market has made it difficult for us to buy and sell properties as we used to – and yet we still need more homes to offer the growing number of ministers who need them.

So we hope you will consider leaving your home to the Society. We will use it to help ministers and their families who have served their communities faithfully and are in great need of a home.

Do I need to use a solicitor to make a will?

We advise anyone making or updating a will to seek independent advice from a practising solicitor. It need not be expensive, and can save you and your beneficiaries from delays, distress and the loss of your intended bequests. Further down the page we set out some sample wording you could use as a starting-point, but we do recommend using a solicitor.

I already have a will – how can alter it to include the Society?

Changing your existing will is simple. You can either rewrite it or create and sign a codicil. As before, we recommend using a solicitor for complete accuracy and peace of mind.

What about inheritance tax?

There is no inheritance tax payable on gifts to charity. This means that where tax is payable on an estate, your gift will reduce the overall amount of tax paid.

Can I choose how my money will be used?

We always do what we can to honour any specific wishes you may have, but we recommend making your gift for general funds so that we can put it to use where the need is greatest at that time.

Next steps

If you would like to leave the Society a gift in your will, please follow these three simple steps:

Contact a solicitor

Make an appointment with your solicitor to discuss your will. If you don’t yet have a solicitor, you can find one by contacting the Law Society on 020 7242 1222.

Print our Bequest Leaflet

It will help your solicitor if you take our Bequest Leaflet along to provide them with some important details. You can download and print the leaflet here: bequest form

Contact the Methodist Ministers’ Housing Society

It is very helpful for us to know that you have left us a gift in your will, so please contact us to let us know.

Sample wording

Again, we do recommend using a solicitor to help you make or change your will, but this is some wording you could use as a starting-point:

Gift of money
‘I bequeath to the Methodist Ministers’ Housing Society – whose place of business is 109 Baker Street, London W1U 6RP and registered office is 25 Marylebone Road, London NW1 5JR – for the general purposes of the said Society the sum of £…….free of taxes’.

Bequest of property
‘I give to the Methodist Ministers’ Housing Society – whose place of business is 109 Baker Street, London W1U 6RP and registered office is 25 Marylebone Road, London NW1 5JR – all my share and interest in the (freehold/leasehold) property known as…….or such other principal dwelling house (whether leasehold or freehold) in which I have a share and interest at the time of my death free of all taxes and of all charges thereon for the purposes of the said Society’.

Frequently asked questions

Contact us