If you need to vacate your property for any reason, please let us know as soon as possible. You can call us on 020 7467 5272 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’ll let you know the steps involved and send you the necessary forms, such as our Vacating Checklist. There are several important things to bear in mind:
• Key return – please post the keys separately from the checklist, quoting our reference which we will supply to you and ensuring there is no mention of the house number or road name enclosed with the keys.
• Rent – your rent is payable up until the day the Society receives your returned keys. If there is a prepayment on the rent account, we’ll refund you – if the account is in arrears, we’ll write to ask for the payment amount due.
• Central heating – if the property is being left empty during the winter, please arrange for a local plumber to drain the system down. The plumber can invoice us directly, or if you pay them and then send us a receipted invoice with a covering letter, we will reimburse the cost to you.
• Electricity – please check carefully that the electricity is switched off at the mains. If there is an immersion heater, please make sure this is also switched off, as we may have to ask you to cover any costs incurred after you have vacated.
• Appliances – unless otherwise agreed with us, please ensure any freestanding appliances are removed from the property, as we may have to re-charge the costs for their removal. Please ensure any integrated appliances are emptied, switched off and thoroughly cleaned.
• Bills – please be aware that you are responsible for Council Tax and utility bills for as long as you retain the keys, even if the property is unoccupied and/or unfurnished. Once we have received the checklist and the keys back from you, we’ll assume responsibility for the property.